Roads, Bridges, & Linear Developments
North/South Consultants Inc. conducts assessments of construction-related aquatic effects of roads, bridges, and other linear development projects, such as pipelines, hydroelectric transmission lines, and fibre optic cables.
- Conducted the aquatic and terrestrial components of an impact assessment of the upgrade and extension of the Rice River Road from Manigotagan to Bloodvein Indian Reserve, Manitoba.
- Conducted the aquatic components of impact assessments for Conawapa and Wuskwatim access roads.
- Conducted an impact assessment of a proposed winter road between North Spirit Lake Winter Road and Poplar Hill First Nation (northeastern Ontario).
- Main-Norwood Bridge
Assessed the potential impacts of construction of the Main-Norwood Bridge on fisheries and aquatic biota of the Red and Assiniboine rivers. An electrofishing program was undertaken to capture fish in the zone of influence of the project and benthic invertebrates were collected upstream and downstream of the project site. Key person interviews and literature searches complemented the field work. Text was prepared for relevant sections of the impact statement, including a description of the existing aquatic environment, determination of short- and long-term project impacts and proposed mitigation, and recommendations for monitoring requirements. Advice was provided on regulatory matters pertaining to the aquatic environment.
- Provencher Bridge - Environmental Impact Assessment
Conducted the aquatic resources component of the Environmental Impact Assessment for the proposed Provencher Bridge project on the Red River. A report describing the existing aquatic environment and the potential for impacts to aquatic biota was prepared prior to bridge construction. A benthic invertebrate monitoring program was developed and conducted as a condition of the Section 35 Department of Fisheries and Oceans' authorization for the project.
- La Salle River Bridge - Environmental Impact Assessment
Compiled data on and described hydrology, river morphometry, water chemistry, and fish and invertebrate species composition for the La Salle River. The potential for impacts at all stages of bridge construction were identified and impact management and mitigation plans were provided.
- Charleswood Bridge: Water Quality Monitoring
Developed and implemented a program to monitor the effect of relocation of the water feeder main located near the Charleswood Bridge on the total suspended solids regime of the Assiniboine River downstream of the construction site. Quantitatively described the sediment plume and provided estimates of the total volume of suspended material transported.
Fibre Optic Cable:
- Conducted a 1470 km survey of a proposed buried fibre optic right-of-way, including assessments of 160 stream crossings.
Top of Page